Sunday, February 6, 2011

Back to Blog'in

Well gee, I'm finally writing after trying for months to get back to the blog.  I'm so pleased with myself for conquering the endeavor that I felt applause was in order.

I haven't knit very much since I last wrote but did finish two small projects and always had something going to take with me to knitting group.  Embarrassment set in after I realized I had taken the same scarf to work on for five months.  Tonight I am getting into a hat that I started on the needles about a year ago as I've realized I miss knitting and have developed bad bedtime habits over the past year.  I tend to talk on the phone, watch tv and surf the web at once while sitting in bed at night.  These activities are not conducive to winding down for sleep so tonight I am going to write a little bit here and then put the laptop down.  The agenda includes listening to a couple knitting podcasts while I click away at my hat project.

So here is a brief summary of what has been going on with me.  I started running last spring and found that I love doing it.  Realized that regular exercise is a wonder drug for the mind.  I learned to meditate as well as relax very deeply.  My cooking has gone to new heights with a new understanding of how to use the fewest and simplest of ingredients with techniques that render the most amazing flavors, all from absolute scratch.  I've made it a rule to never purchase meat from a regular grocery store; only from the co-op or directly from the farmer; meats that were humanely raised in small herds, allowed to forage for their food for at least 80% of their diet and preferrably organic and local.  I've made a promise to myself to buy more food at the farmers market this spring/summer to support local family farmers who grow food that is free of chemicals or certified organic.  I've learned that the ridiculously expensive, high tech outdoor sports clothing is worth every penny and that The North Face clothing is crap.  A jacket from Arc'teryx or Mont-Bell will set you back a paycheck but you'll never regret the expenditure.

Onto the personal junk.  Last week I went to the doctor for a check-up.  My blood pressure was normal and I weigh, 183lbs.  I don't remember ever weighing 183# but I remember 234#.  I decided to buy some new jeans to celebrate tonight and once again figured I'd try on the "skinny fit" Levi's just for kicks with no intention of purchasing.  They fit me perfectly and looked terrific to boot!  They don't look like skinny jeans on me, they just look like fitted jeans which is good because I hate those certain skinny jeans that look painted on, peg-legged, and so low cut that the waste band's natural resting place is across the butt cheeks and every time the person bends over you see their coin slot.  I did have the middle-aged dressing room moment when I stopped and asked myself, "is this style too young for me?" Too young or not, I looked good and I bought them so that I can fit in with the other kids at school, I mean work.  Oh, and I bought a sweater in size medium.

I took a picture of my lavish Sunday tea.  With the gray days in abundance, I wanted a special treat while I listened to my Sunday morning radio programs.  Note that I made the crumpets from scratch and yes, I just said "my Sunday morning radio programs".


No comments:

Post a Comment