Monday, March 1, 2010

Production overriding purpose?

As I spent the weekend contemplating, among other things, the purpose of knitting in my life; I was struck by the notion of cheap yarn. It fascinates me that likened to discount-store clothing, cheap yarn is rarely, if ever, an aesthetic success. I know it must boil down to cutting corners for the sake of mass production and universal appeal but it seems as though the purpose of the manufactured item has been lost. I'll explore this thought sometime soon.

Friday morning I wore the big, super-posh, uber-luscious tweedy scarf. Wrapped in the softest merino and superfine alpaca, supremely textured by hand and needle; the epitome of class, sophistication and fine tailoring I was. The scarf belonged to me until about 3 o'clock when possession was hastily transferred to a co-worker/friend who was in desperate need of a luxurious hug. Exceptional are the moments when I can step outside of my own needs and commit friendly gestures for the sake of others. This act wasn't entirely selfless though because I got a little high off of turning someone's bad day around. I can always replace the yarn.

I want to knit a blanket for the foot of my bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment