Saturday, January 30, 2010

Back to the stash


Letting go of beautiful things is always difficult and when I rip out this scarf it is going to sting. The stitch definition is amazing and it is a really fun pattern to work up. I've wanted this scarf for over a year but I'm glad I waited until now to work on it because I've grown up a little when it comes to how I approach knitting projects. I can appreciate the beauty of a garment and also realize that it isn't practical and I'd never get any use out of the finished object. I could give it away but I can't imagine any of my friends falling head-over-heels for it the way I have; not to mention appreciate the quality and cost of the wool and the time.

So here is the deal...
This wool is not super friendly against the skin which I believe to be the exact reason it renders stunning stitch definition. The front of the scarf is lovely but scarves shouldn't have "fronts" and if they do, the back should be handsome enough to hold it's own. This back has huge pits and unsightly, gnarled twists and because the garment is stiff and remains flat, the back is going to show no matter how it is worn. And did I say stiff? This scarf will never, ever drape nicely.

Now, what to do with the lovely yarn?

No comments:

Post a Comment