Thursday, January 28, 2010

Flaunting their wares


One thing I have found with having a yarn stash is that if a much loved and well fondled yarn gets buried in the stash cupboard for long enough, when it resurfaces, the love feels brand new again!

Yesterday, my rusty Rowan Scottish Tweed with purple flecks turned up and I decided to get my ass moving on the cable scarf that I began a year ago with much difficulty and trepidation. This time around I read the pattern and it didn't seem as difficult as it once did so I ripped out the two inches I had completed and began anew. Rowan patterns are known to many as being slightly troublesome to decipher but I decided I would muddle through in order to learn their language because I love so many of their patterns. Although I've done cables and this pattern is easy to understand I concluded that a re-write of the repeats was necessary. I am happy with the outcome because now I can look at my own version of the pattern and not have to spend time referencing the abbreviated code explanations in the book (alas, I'm just not quick enough).

Cr4R, C6B and Cr4L are probably obvious abbreviations to most knitters who have done cables but my brain doesn't work that way. I can only assume that the first one means "cross 4 stitches to the right" which would totally blow my idea out of the water when it comes to C6B. Anyway I re-wrote it as "S1BK3+1" which means (to me) Slip 1 stitch to cable needle and hold in Back, Knit 3 stitches plus 1 stitch from the cable needle. You get the idea. Now I have a nice, neat little card that I can carry around with my knitting until I memorize the sixteen row repeat. If the last cable pattern I did is any measure, I should have it down after I do it five times.

BTW, I am quite familiar with "Cable 6 to the Back".

I've attached a picture of the scarf that I got from my book but to be fair I also attached a pic of my own progress and will post another when I am about half way through. Since I'm posting other people's work, credit is due. From the book Knitting for Him, designed by Martin Storey for Rowan Yarns, photography by John Heseltine and I shamelessly ripped the photo from the kangaroo.uk.com website.

No comments:

Post a Comment