Sunday, February 14, 2010

Fashion jeans and snack cakes


Valentines Day? I've been trying my damnedest to glimps the back of my head all weekend.

Brace yourselves, its gonna be a long' un and I ain't doing the proof-reading until tomorrow.

Friday's work started with some really sad news as I walked through the door to my office. It then moved on to some really angering news which led to feelings of guilt, got boring for a bit and then ended with a dull thud. All-in-all I was happy to see the weekend as I had planned to not think about work and not feel guilty about not being there, at work. Came home and re-discovered Sade on iTunes. When I was in grade school, a friend and I used to pull our scalp back as tight as we could on our heads and sing "you give me the sweetest taboo" through our noses to see who would laugh the hardest. If you know Sade, I needn't further explain. Anyway, I was curious to hear her now and poked through the samples only to fall slightly in love. She truly has an amazing voice, a very unique style, a great story, and honest-to-God talent.

Saturday was a much needed Me day. I enjoyed my coffee while listening to some of my favorite shows on public radio all morning, changed the bedclothes and planned my afternoon. Somewhere between casing the pillows and covering the duvet, I had developed a strong need to purchase a porcelain, Queen Anne tea pot and matching cups and saucers. Quickly talking myself down from this idiotic notion, I settled on just the shopping portion and not the actual buying. Believe it or not, I found such a teapot, cups and saucers; they are still at the store. I didn't leave all the stores empty handed though.

Fancying a pair of jeans with a little more shape and style than what I have I searched through the denim in the mens department. Reading the fit charts for each style, I got irritated with finding all the seemingly flattering cuts ended with those damn boot-cut legs that make me look like the back half of a Clydesdale. Skinny jeans and Slim Fit were everywhere and I decided to give in to temptation so that I could at least say I tried. I almost fell over in the dressing room as I zipped them up and realized they looked fantastic! Now, I'm not talking fantastic like when I was in high school and "imagined" fashion jeans looked great on me, these ACTUALLY look great on me.

After the jeans incident on Saturday night, things were going so well that it seemed a good idea to go to Wal-Mart for a thermal carafe. MY GOD! That is all I have to say about Wal-Mart.

The crazy Benetton hat that I knit a few months ago turned up in a drawer and I remembered it needed to be blocked. After soaking it in warm water, gentle stretching and molding made it look like a real hat rather than a yurt. The interesting thing was that the yarn stunk like a home perm when it was wet. As I recall, I had a store-bought sweater vest in a straw color similar to that of the hand made hat and when I soaked the sweater in water it stunk too. I'm wondering if it has to do with the chemical dye used to create the light brown heather color.

Sunday kicked me out of bed and I went to Kai's parent's house to enjoy a casual, lazy breakfast by the fireplace. Food always tastes best in the morning when it is made by someone else and served in way that encourages grazing. Mimosas on the big leather sofa were divine.

Lastly, a confession. This week I have indulged in all four varieties of Hostess Zingers, a few Reece's peanut butter eggs, a Pepperidge Farm 3-layer cake, two lemon-raspberry sponges, a container of ice cream, a cup of liquid chocolate, and a snack sized bag of potato chips. I just can't believe I ate those potato chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment