Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Butter, Sugar,and..........Wool?


The house smells like butter, sugar, toasted nuts and cherries. So much so that I haven't even eaten one of the cookies I baked because the heavy fragrance made me feel as though I'd eaten a dozen already.

The first batch (four sheet pans) was my absolute favorite as a kid, Cherry Winks. I always thought it was a secret recipe from my grandmother but later found out it was quite famous in it's time as it won a Pillsbury Bake-Off contest in the 40's or 50's. Although my mother baked them most years, I don't actually remember being around when she made them however the smell of them in the oven is an unmistakable memory. It just isn't Christmas without them.

Round two was a double sized sheet pan of pecan crescent sandies. I haven't made these before but remember them as a kid. Nutty, buttery and lightly sweet, they melt in your mouth. The ingredients were so few that I was afraid the recipe may have been misprinted. The photo was just going to be the picture of cookies but I couldn't help including the entire spread on the dining table. Yes, the wool and needles were already there, it wasn't staged. Good thing though because now I've included a nod to knitting even though I haven't made stitches for days now.

No comments:

Post a Comment