Friday, December 18, 2009

Manna or Valomilk?

For the first time in my three years of knitting, I've ripped out a project. Surprisingly, it wasn't that painful but getting it back on the needles is going to be a new challenge. I didn't actually rip out the whole thing, just a little more than half a hat, and I got back to a point with the crown where I can stop increasing and just knit straight down. The first time I knit, I got carried away with the increase rounds and I knew the hat was going to be too big. Of course I just kept going, thinking it would be alright. Then when I realized how big the hat was, maybe blocking would take care of it. After two nights of sheer denial, I came to grips with the fact that the hat needed to be ripped back. I've placed the live stitches on a length of waste yarn and now need to figure out if the eight bar increases are set correctly in order to continue knitting.

Recently, I've been going a little crazy with the sweets. Since losing weight and noticing that my skin tone has evened out I've been shoving candy bars down my throat on a fairly regular basis. (for those who don't know, sugar and fat normally make my skin look like shit though they don't seem to effect my weight) Anyway, I've discovered Valomilks which are pudgy little chocolate cups filled with flowing marshmallow and although I've never been a marshmallow fan, these Valomilks are AMAZING!!! (insert jazz hands here) The filling is somewhere between a marshmallow and a sweet flowing caramel and you must try them. In addition to the valomilks, Hershey now has big milk chocolate bars with corn flake crisps in them. I've always loved simple, basic corn flakes and found the corn flake Ritter Sport candy bar a few years ago but they are pretty spendy. Not only do I indulge in a candy bar each night, I've also been eating a chocolate almondbutter rice crispy bar with lunch at work.

It may seem ridiculous to go on for a whole paragraph about eating candy bars but you need to understand the sense of freedom I'm feeling with this. My entire life has been filled with candy bar deprivation for reasons both clear and unclear. First of all, my parents didn't like us kids eating candy because it wasn't nourishing and it was full of sugar. They then moved on to the arguement that we were chubby and didn't "need" any candy. Sprinkled throughout this time was always the excuse, "we can't afford it". Growing up with these messages I learned to view candy as delicious and evil. It was a bad thing that only unhealthy people could eat and that it would make me fatter. I also realized in my teens that the quantity of blemishes on my face directly correlates with the quantity of sugar I eat. Now, at 35 years old, I'm realizing that I am eating candy and sweets like they are going out of style and I'm losing weight and my skin looks fantastic. Maybe middle-age has it's benefits?

No comments:

Post a Comment