Monday, November 23, 2009

One thing leads to another



We have all done it. Awakened in the morning with a foggy headache which leads to a nervous sinking feeling in our guts as we exclaim, "What the F*% did I do last night?". This time for me it was realizing that I spend another fifty bucks at 2am on knitting supplies at knitpicks.com. I only needed a couple things but my shopping basket kept taunting me with it's little message, "only $25.49 left till free shipping". This incident is the third of it's kind to happen in the past two months. Damn them, damn me, damn it.

I bought the set of little 4" dpns because I couldn't help myself and I'm guessing they would be quite nice to use when starting top-down hats. I don't care for having four giant needles flopping around when trying to work with 4-8-16 stitches and I don't want to start a project like that using magic loop. Since the needles cost $29, I needed to round it up to 50 so I also got circular needles in sizes 2 and 3; 47" cables. City Tweed DK has been on my mind lately and so I bought 4 colors to do a stripe hat. With thinning hair and super close buzz cut, thin hats are required in the winter time to help regulate overall body temperature. I seem to be the only balding kvetch that bitches about cold scalp.

The idea for the stripe hat came from a vest pattern that I fell in love with this week. I bought the Jane Ellison Queensland Collection book 9 for men because it contains the pattern of the perfect vest that has been in my imagination for over two years now. The vest is shown in a thick stripe pattern which is lovely. For a more immediate gratification, I'm going to make my next hat in a stripe that reminds me of this vest. I shall make this vest over the winter while I wear the hat.

2 comments:

  1. So I am not the only one guilty of late night internet yarn orgies! I know exactly what you mean. It starts out so innocent as a few skeins of yarn then escalates to adding a few more items to get the free shipping. Ending at 100.00 and that sick feeling when you hit SUBMIT ORDER. The justifications is always amusing too. Luckily when I talk with my best friend (a knitter)the justifications make total sense to her! Good example; I started an afghan this week, bought what I am sure will be enough yarn but last night I cam across a 45% and 50% coupons for Michaelas and Hobby Lobby so I will head off to both places to buy one more skein in each store just because I have those coupons. Now in my mind that is shopping smart! lol You are in good company my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just the thought of having a coupon with an expiration date on it is inducing the "panic purchase" chemical in my brain. LOL

    ReplyDelete